Reading from Diana Fosha’s The Transforming Power of Affect: A Model for Accelerated Change, and discussing strategies to better navigate the emotional tides of change.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
In today’s fast-paced world, change is the only constant. Yet, how do we truly understand, manage, and channel the emotions that accompany transformations, both personal and organizational? Whether you’re an individual seeking personal growth, or a leader aiming to steer an organization, understanding the emotional dimensions of change can be a game-changer.
Dr. Hilary Jacobs Hendel is a prominent psychotherapist and author. Driven by her personal experiences with anxiety and depression, Hilary embarked on a journey into psychotherapy. Her profound insights into emotions, coupled with her unique approach to therapy, has been an eye-opener for many. Hilary ventures into her experiences and the pivotal role of Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP) in her practice.
Hilary reads two pages from The Transforming Power of Affect: A Model for Accelerated Change by Diana Fosha. [reading begins at 17:38]
Hear us discuss:
- The connection of body and mind: “I noticed the sensations of tension in my chest that told me that I was anxious, and I breathed, as I was instructed to do, and voila, the anxiety went down, not up.” [5:58]
- The 7 “selfish” emotions, and why you shouldn’t judge them: “You can’t stop emotions from happening. All you can do is be aware when they happen and change your response to them.” [17:13]
- Do our emotions weaken us, or make us stronger? [22:51]
- What is the role of others in helping us hear the whisper of our emotions? [26:28]
- “A basic education in emotions is the path to a more peaceful world.” [34”25]
- How being in tune with your emotions brings out your authentic self: “Emotions are physical experience, they’re there for a good reason, and if we avoid them, we really lose a connection to our authentic self and to others.” [41:46]
Join our free membership site, The Duke Humfrey’s, and get access to full transcripts, past episodes, exclusive downloads and more. You’ll find it all at www.MBS.works/podcast
It looks like you don't have access to this page. If you are a member, please log in below. Click here to sign up for Duke Humfrey's membership.