Tiziana Casciaro reading from Ogyen Trinley Dorje’s The Heart is Noble, and discussing a more interdependent reality.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
‘The map is not the territory.’
This is one of those obvious yet profound insights: the thing we use to try and understand reality, is not reality. It’s true for all charts in companies, for instance. While they tell you a lot, they don’t have all the answers. Your map of the world, what does it tell you and what does it not?
Tiziana Casciaro is Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, and co-author of the book Power, for All: How It Really Works and Why It’s Everyone’s Business.
Tiziana reads two pages from ‘The Heart is Noble’ by the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje. [reading begins at 26:25]
Hear us discuss:
- The study of the nonobvious. [6:33]
- “When you have a lot of power imbalance, in the long run, bad things tend to happen.” [13:46]
- The challenges and consequences of power in organizational spaces. [15:11]
- “The world would be infinitely better if we were all more aware of how interdependent we are.” [33:03]
- Power for all: “Sharing power doesn’t mean giving up power, it means empowering others.” [37:00]
- Moving from certainty to ambiguity: “Remind yourself of the good in you so that you will be able to appreciate the good in others without fearing they will take over.” [42:33]
- How human behavior is influenced by context. [46:41]
Get access to full transcripts and past episodes at www.MBS.works/podcast
Mentioned Episodes | Ep. 23 What To Do With Power: Matthew Barzun | Ep. 36 How to Practice Understanding: Pamay Bassey
Taziana Casciaro | LinkedIn | Power, for All: How It Really Works and Why It’s Everyone’s Business
The Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje | The Heart is Noble: Changing the World from the Inside Out