Ozan Varol reading from Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic, and discussing reconnecting with your origin story, staying curious, and claiming your genius.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
The smell of wood smoke, particularly burning eucalyptus wood as I’m sitting around a fire in the Australian bush, always conjures awe. As Dacher Keltner put it in his new book, “Awe is the feeling of being in the presence of something vast that transcends your current understanding of the world.” Starting a fire is a delicate thing; you collect all the materials and spark the flame, hoping it catches, and once it does, you nourish it until it becomes robust – or, for me, becomes an invitation to awe. Here I’m speaking both literally, and metaphorically.
Ozan Varol is a literal rocket scientist, but that’s been only one of his careers so far. He’s my latest guest whose roots are in Turkey, and his book Awaken Your Genius has just been released.
Ozan reads two pages from ‘Big Magic’ by Elizabeth Gilbert. [reading begins at 17:47]
Hear us discuss:
- Leaning into your individuality. [6:50]
- “No one can compete with you at being you.” [10:18]
- The price of genius. [13:08]
- Chasing the originality unicorn. [20:07]
- “Authentic means staying true to who you are at the moment.” [24:01]
- Internal approval is greater than external approval: “The more we strive for guaranteed success, the less original we become.” [26:54]
- Answering curiosity’s call. [37:10]
- Stop overthinking: Learning to listen beyond your brain’s ideas. [39:51]
Join our free membership site, The Duke Humfrey’s, and get access to full transcripts, past episodes, exclusive downloads and more. You’ll find it all at www.MBS.works/podcast
Ozan Varol | Website | Awaken Your Genius: Escape Conformity, Ignite Creativity, and Become Extraordinary | Think Like a Rocket Scientist: Simple Strategies You Can Use to Make Giant Leaps in Work and Life
Elizabeth Gilbert | Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear