Zita Cobb reading from Raghuram Rajan’s The Third Pillar, and discussing the responsibility of man to adopt an active and sustainable role in your community, because, after all, we need our neighbors.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
For one of Marcella’s significant birthdays, we went to the Fogo Island Inn, an extraordinary building on an island off the East Coast of Canada. More than just an extraordinary building, being there is an extraordinary experience – a hotel built into the rock of the island, and into the roots of the community. I’ve stayed at more than my fair share of hotels in my time, but the Fogo Island Inn is the first and only one that comes with a mission to save the world.
Zita Cobb is the founder and CEO of Shorefast, a charity organization that, through business, preserves culture, sustainability, and economic well-being of local communities. These aims are evident in her additional role as the innkeeper of the aforementioned Fogo Island Inn.
Zita reads two pages from ‘The Third Pillar’ by Raghuram Rajan. [reading begins at 14:40]
Hear us discuss:
- How to start a movement: “Communities aren’t problems; they’re assets.” [20:33]
- Risk and resilience in community building. [25:30]
- The balance between playing the long game and the urgency for progress: “We have to survive the present to get to the future.” [28:46]
- The importance of dignity. [30:49]
- How to maintain your optimism. [33:00]
- Finding the right people to make change happen. [35:28]
- Embodied communities: “We only know who we are in relation to each other.” [37:50]
- Being the one to reach out and say hello. [40:20]
Join our free membership site, The Duke Humfrey’s, and get access to full transcripts, past episodes, exclusive downloads and more. You’ll find it all at www.MBS.works/podcast
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
Mentioned Episodes | Ep. 109: Seeking Deep Connection: Kevin Ashton | Ep. 69: How to Face Resistance: Loran Nordgren
Zita Cobb | Shorefast | Fogo Island Inn
Raghuram Rajan | The Third Pillar: How Markets and the State Leave the Community Behind
Follow Michael on | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn | Facebook
It looks like you don't have access to this page. If you are a member, please log in below. Click here to sign up for Duke Humfrey's membership.