Hal Gregersen reading from Parker Palmer’s Let Your Life Speak, and discussing wrestling with the question, ‘Will I ever measure up and matter?’ throughout his life and the impact that Parker Palmer’s work had on him.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
I’m working on building community at the moment, and I’ve noticed I have two types to focus on. The first is a wider net – I know a lot of people a little bit, and I’d like to know some of them more. Inspired by the book The 2-Hour Cocktail Party, I’ve been hosting monthly events where I pull everyone together and ask them all to answer a question, which effectively seeds the next round of introductions and conversation. The second type of community is a deeper vessel. I invite other men at about the same stage of life as me, and we discuss what it means to be an elder in our different worlds. Here, my hope is that I’m asked questions that’ll help call me forth. Two different communities, but for each, good questions right at their heart.
Hal Gregersen is a man who loves questions, perhaps even more than I do. He’s dedicated his life to it as an author, speaker, and former Executive Director of the MIT Leadership Center. Hal and I both believe that questioning can transform the future of learning and make the world a better place.
Hal reads an article titled, ‘Let Your Life Speak’ by Parker Palmer. [reading begins at 21:20]
Hear us discuss:
- The greatest gift that trust brings. [5:04]
- Maintaining an open heart and a healthy relationship with trust. [6:57]
- How heartbreak can sometimes be a good thing: “Life is fleeting, it comes and goes faster than we think.” [31:05]
- The feeling of deep gladness: “When you have that moment where eyes light up – that’s deep gladness.” [36:59]
- Alexander Papaderos, Elie Wiesel, & the meaning of life: “For a lot of my life, I was trying to get rid of this bad part of my past instead of understanding and embracing it … it’s not only okay, but it’s you.” [40:35]
Join our free membership site, The Duke Humfrey’s, and get access to full transcripts, past episodes, exclusive downloads and more. You’ll find it all at www.MBS.works/podcast
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
Mentioned Episodes | How to Thrive: Liz Wiseman | How to Rethink Ambition: Kieran Setiya
Hal Gregersen | Website | LinkedIn | The Innovator’s DNA | Questions Are The Answer
Parker Palmer | Let Your Life Speak | To Know As We Are Known | A Hidden Wholeness
Follow Michael on | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn | Facebook
It looks like you don't have access to this page. If you are a member, please log in below. Click here to sign up for Duke Humfrey's membership.