Laura Gassner Otting reading from Ursula Hegi’s Stones from the River, and discussing the unfairness of perfectionism & recognising what success means to you.
Recommend this show by sharing the link: pod.link/2Pages
Growing up, there were a couple of my dad’s high school track trophies on the sideboard in our house. I loved those trophies as a kid – Dad, on the other hand, was pretty indifferent to them, having moved on to other things. Be it physical or not, what trophies do you have? And which ones are you now chasing? How do your past and possible achievements shape and enliven you, and in turn, how do they constrain you?
Laura Gassner Otting is a best-selling author, a keynote speaker, a coach, and a friend.
Laura reads two pages from ‘Stones from the River’ by Ursula Hegi. [reading begins at 24:00]
Hear us discuss:
- How to stop chasing approval from others. [7:40]
- The difference between institutions and cathedrals. [17:38]
- “Grow to love the part of you that is always in process.” [31:43]
- Finding both success and happiness. [33:54]
- “There’s success for my ego, and success for my heart.” [40:38]
- Success then versus now: “Success is knowing who I am and how I can bring that to people who want to see more of me.” [41:53]
Join our free membership site, The Duke Humfrey’s, and get access to full transcripts, past episodes, exclusive downloads and more. You’ll find it all at www.MBS.works/podcast
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
Laura Gassner Otting | Website | LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | Wonderhell: Why Success Doesn’t Feel Like it Should … And What to Do About It | Limitless: How to Ignore Everybody, Carve your Own Path, and Live Your Best Life
Ursula Hegi | Stones from the River
Follow Michael on | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn | Facebook
It looks like you don't have access to this page. If you are a member, please log in below. Click here to sign up for Duke Humfrey's membership.